Jason Boyko and Christian Thomas each broke two Lourdes school records. Jason broke his own 100 fly record, and set a new 500 freestyle school record. Christian broke his own 100 backstroke record, and also set a new 100 freestyle record for the school. The four swims were personal best times for Jason and Christian as well.
The quartet made it to the bonus final in their 200 Medley relay, and were on track for finals (and a school record!) in their 400 free relay, but were disqualified on a technicality, as a number of teams were.
Christian Thomas made it to the finals in both of his events and finished 3rd and 6th overall in New York State with his 100 backstroke and 100 freestyle swims, respectively. Both swims were All-American consideration times. Christian was proud to represent his school and his team as a Section One captain.
The success at the state championship was a suitable end to a great season, with a record of 4-2-2 and with a team of many new swimmers.
Additional team successes over the season include:
- Two first place relay finishes at the conference championship meet
- Third place relay finish at the Section One championship meet
- One Lourdes swimmer named “Athlete of the Meet” at the Schenectady invitational
- Meet record in 100 back at the Schenectady invitational
- Three Poughkeepsie middle school all-time pool records
- Six Lourdes all time school records broken
The team and captains want to give a shout out and thanks to its coaches, especially assistant coach and team tactician, Mr. Art Boyko for his outstanding work and help this season.
Coach Boyko mentored new coaches and used his experience and knowledge to successfully guide and advise the team during the season. His experience was especially helpful when competing at the state championship level.