This past school year has brought tremendous success for this class academically, spiritually, artistically and athletically. With over 8 Ivy League acceptances, 3 National Merit Finalists, 3 National Merit Commended students, and over 22 NCAA committed athletes, their accomplishments are numerous.
The ceremony opened with The National Anthem sung by the senior ensemble of Kevin Alcoforado, Elisabeth Bata, Dan Berry, Sara Bucher, John Calio, Alexandra Carbone, Jamila Dawkins, Lin Rao, Lillian Salazar, Corey Sulca and Nicole Wagner.
Along with the many academic, leadership and service awards, other highlights from the ceremony included:
- Valedictorian, Albert Zhu’s, message to his fellow graduates thanked the “devoted faculty who challenged them across the disciplines through their tireless efforts”. He celebrated the many academic, community service and athletic success of his classmates, and reminded them that “we all had different experiences here, but we did it together.” Albert ended his message with the advice to “Set goals, stay close to loved ones but reach out to new ones along the way, and show the world who you are.” Albert is headed to Cornell University.
- It has become a tradition for Mrs. Merryman, in her message to “her seniors”, to take her inspiration from different songwriters. This year it was Bob Dylan’s Forever Young, and one only needs to read the lyrics to understand why. “The lyrics read like a prayer, she remarked. “As children do, we need to remain teachable and accept our limits and those of others. Keep your eyes open to God’s messages. They are all around us. May you always know the truth and light around you and may you stay ‘forever young…’”
- Merryman also acknowledged Mrs. Michele Carey who is retiring this year, and Mrs. Jessie Murphy, a Lourdes alumnus who is leaving Lourdes for another opportunity. We wish them all the very best in their futures. Their Lourdes family will always be here for them.
- Board of Trustees Executive Chair, Genaro Argenio addressed the crowd thanking all in attendance for their support and ongoing commitment to our school. “Thank you for entrusting your children to us. Congratulations Class of 2019. You are a Lourdean forever!”
- Grace O’Connor and Alex Giangrasso were named as recipients of the Lourdes Faculty Award.
The ceremony wrapped up with the Ave Maria sung by the senior ensemble, and Father Lutz providing the benediction. The procession of graduates then continued out to the front of the school for the annual tradition of the “throwing of the caps” in front of our Blessed Mother statue. The beautiful blue sky and bright sunshine only added to the happiness of the day!
Congratulations Class of 2019! We are excited to see where your futures will take you!
See full OLL photo gallery below: