It felt like a piece of normalcy as Our Lady of Lourdes High School held its 60th
Commencement Ceremony for the Class of 2021 on Friday, June 4th. As was the case in 2020, the ceremony was live-streamed, but this year the graduates were able to have 2 guests in attendance to share in this traditional celebration.
The Class of 2021 arrived for their Commencement Ceremony with enthusiasm and smiles all around. This past school year brought unprecedented challenges with remote learning and the absence of many senior year traditions; however, this class rose above and handled themselves with grace, dignity, and humility throughout their senior year. They have also seen tremendous success academically, spiritually, artistically, and athletically. We are so proud of their accomplishments and are excited for these 167 graduates as they move on to the next phase of their lives.
Along with the many academic, leadership, and service awards, other highlights from the ceremony included:
- The ceremony opened with The National Anthem sung beautifully by the senior ensemble of Matthew Cruser, Chloe Kuehner, Sophia LaCorte, Ryan Murphy, Mei Rao, Mason Sala, and Hunter Schofield.
- Salutatorian Sedem Apedo provided the invocation and Valedictorian, Moira Kennedy addressed all those in attendance with an eloquent and entertaining tribute to the school, her classmates, and families in attendance.
- It has become a tradition for Lourdes Principal, Catherine Merryman, in her message to “her seniors”, to take her inspiration from different songwriters. This year it was Simon & Garfunkel’s The Sound of Silence.
- Mei Rao and Luke Bubel were named as recipients of the Lourdes Faculty Award.
- Hannah McConologue and Ryan Murphy led the Prayer with their fellow graduates.
The ceremony wrapped up with the senior ensemble performing Ave Maria and Reverend Michael Connolly providing the benediction. The procession of graduates then continued out to the front of the school for the annual tradition of the “throwing of the caps” at the statue of the Blessed Mother.
A beautiful ceremony, an outstanding group of graduates, family & friends, administration, faculty, and staff all made for a wonderful night. We are excited to hear where their futures will take them!
Watch the full ceremony below.